Publishing Online Series- Meet Amanda Hocking- Updated


I first found Amanda Hocking when I was researching authors writing and publishing online. I was struck by the simplicity of writing your own way and saying what you want to say without editors steering your work towards something different.

After reading about her journey from working in a group home until 2010, she went on to self publish her paranormal books online and by March of 2011, she had sold over a million copies of her book and earned herself a whopping 2 million dollars!

This caught my attention. Does it catch your attention? I hope so because otherwise these blog posts about my own journey into self publishing online would be worthless.

I got my information on her sales from


and she has several web pages of information on her books.




If you are blogging, you are already a publisher, you can decide to click on "Reply or Delete" to any comment, you can purchase your own template, you can even sell things from your blog or you can end your entire blog. Simple!

Its all up to you. Publishing your own e-book is just like that, you make all the decisions. You take the risk of putting yourself and your work out there and so I'm not scared of e-publishing.

Let's take a look at some of the most enterprising quilters out there, for instance Debbie Mumm started out working in a sewing shop in WA.


This image is one of her free desktop images you can download.

Debbie Mumm started her own licensing and publishing company that built her extremely popular brand. For more on how she did it, you can find the official statement of her story at this web address. Its a good read!

Publishing online with an e-book or e-magazine is not new thinking. Its been growing in popularity for several years now and with the sheer cost of printing its driven e-book publishing into main stream. With the special consideration of tablets and Kindle. Look out!

According to KimanziConstable.com who wrote the article for Entrepreneur.com

10 Truths About Self-Publishing for Entrepreneurs With a Book Idea

 writes "It’s estimated that Amazon has earned $5.25 billion from eBooks so far this year, according to George Parker in The New Yorker. For entrepreneurs, this is an opportunity to add income to your business." 

Your time, effort and expertise that you bring to the publishing table can't ignored. And your time, effort and expertise is worth something and you know it. You'd like to be acknowledged for it, right?

For many of us, who have quilted for ions, we think we are 'just' quilters, but really we're artists, designers and manufacturers. And strnage but true, this lends itself to not really believing we are worth it. 

I'm not thinking I'm the best of the best and I deserve to become super successful. But I do know this, my work is unique, its something new in the world of crazy quilting and that is saying alot.



I began thinking about self publishing back in 2005 but didn't really know what that would look like, so I delayed. In 2010 I began researching e-book publishing in earnest and decided that it just wasn't the right time.

Fiction writers apparantly are very happy about the growth and opportunity for e-book publishing. Romance to sci-fi authors have out of print books that are just books they wrote and now sit on a shelf at home. Every author knows that all books can become a bread winner again by e-publishing. Maybe their books were well read in the 1980's for instance and they can brush the dust off an oldie but a goodie and start earning money again from a e-publishing opportunity again.


This garage sale is where out of print and obsolete books end up. 

 Leave me a comment and let me know you are enjoying the walk along the e-book publishing path? Is there a burning question you've got?

Special thanks to www.theguardian.com and www.debbiemumm.com

Thank you for reading this long post!

Comments

  1. I have no questions, I just find this series interesting.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, good to know that you appreciate this new series. I've recieved some emails that will further point the direction of what people want to know. Feel free to email me and ask me a question. I'll do my best to answer them with as much research as I can find. Thanks so much for commenting, its all helpful to me and to others.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the info. the story on Amanda Hocking is amazing. She just kept being herself and kept looking. Words of encouragement. How easy it is to give up when you get rejected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janie, glad to hear you're enjoying this series, email me with a question and I'll do what I can to find the answer. Many thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woke this morning before 4 a.m. with two things on my mind-a family situation and getting caught up with this series. This is a really good article-thank you-how about information on how to make ebooks for Kindle, Amazon, etc. I want to help my sister get her ideas off the ground and it is kind of like the blind leading the blind here. I have been telling her about your series but we haven't had a summit meeting to really get down to business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, yes, I'm writing a whole new batch on this series. I'm really pleased with the response and yes, kindle publishing is just another way you can set up your publishing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!
I think its neat when other's feel compelled to write a comment. I check on notifications frequently. If you are a no-reply commenter, please leave an email address if you wish to hear back from me directly.

Popular posts from this blog

Hexie Quilt Top WIP

Sashiko Sockeye Bowls

A little bit of stitching...