Publishing Online Series - Consider Yourself as Marketable

Welcome to the "growing in popularity" post on self publishing, digital publishing or whatever you'd call designing and selling your own book online.

I'd been trying to figure this out for several years now and I've signed up for more information on many sites. That's because there are a variety, some have tools free and others charge for using their tools.

Each online digital publisher is set up differently and may not be my "Mister Right" for your publishing online quest. So be aware!


This fun clock full tutorial is found at Distant Pickles!

For me it started back in 1999, when listening to the various clocks ticking over into the new year 2000, I reflected the 'what if's" in my life that had contributed to my own personal and career success. In 1999, the excitement and fear over this magnanimus change to dates, online dates, mechanical dates and whether they would just tick tock over to the New Era was real. I reflected the "what if" of my life and whether my grandchild still unborn would come to know their Grandmother Caroline for who she really was and the start of my publishing attempts.

Failed the first attempt which I eluded to in this post "Writing a Book"




Alot has happened since 2000 and now 15 years later, its a much easier discussion around who does what and can anyone publish online? From this standpoint these your own conciderations need a little leg up and this is my goal of posting all about my own process. 

Our sons are amazing people who are in our life as much as they want to be in our life, which is often. Anyway, Paul said " Mom, do you know that you have 1.2 million views on Google + page?" I was dumbfounded for a moment. I answered " My Google + what?" He took out his cell phone and went directly to my Google + page and sure enough that was the number of views at the time. 

All I did to earn this was to add the Google + link with your blog, its that simple. I did connect back in 2008. That is one tiny example of self publishing. So is  your blog that you write faithfully each week or each day. So if you are blogging, you are already publishing, its just given away free. And if you are happy with that, then continue blogging!

Some people think its a drag to have so many different places that we post and this is true if you are just a happy quilter without an acheivement to make.

Some people don't want that broad a brush of attention that Google + paints!

Here's a a link to Caroline Heinrichs' Google +Page. Blogs at Good Earth Quilting

Here's a link to Christine Barnsley's Google + Page. Blogs at Patchwork Allsorts

Now, there is the question of how much is too much. Well, in my opinion, there is no such thing when it comes to self marketing. Self marketing is about you saving money and still marketing yourself, your skills and perhaps even your products.



If you feel that you've got something to say, then feel free to print off this list from this PDf and work through your questions and answers at your leisure.


Consider Yourself As Marketable?



  1. Do you feel you are physically and emotionally up to this job of online publishing?
  2. Do you have something unique to add to digital publishing?
  3. Are you able to justify the time it takes to really produce a quality product for sale?
  4. Are you willing to put yourself and your ideas on stage in the digital downloadable marketplace?
  5. Are you able to move through possible rejection if you don't succeed?
  6. Are you able to move towards the attention this may give you?
I know this might sound daunting, but if you have something marketable to say, then I strongly suggest you print off the PDF link above I've included for you and grab a cup of jo and really think about the questions and the answers.

This is part of my publishing experience that I'm sharing with you all. I love to empower others to be creative and go forth and spread those seeds of love.

Happy Quilting People!


Comments

  1. I read this with great interest Caroline - some good information here. I guess I'm fortunate with my book(s) because they are geared towards a specialty group and I lucked out and found a publisher that strictly does the type of books I'm working on. (btw, I think my third....and final....one will be heading off to the printer in the next month or so...yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on that Mary Anne, I haven't heard a word of this great news? I know that working with a print publisher or otherwise has deadlines! Looking forward to reading all about it soon then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew MA has published books. Carlie, I am so glad for you that you pursued your desire to publish a book. I have so many beading friends that I met years ago that had aspirations to be make a living selling their work and patterns and have achieved that goal nicely. As I watched them succeed, I noted how broad they spread themselves on social media marketing themselves. So much time!! How did they ever accomplish anything else! I'm so glad that you have been able to complete this step in YOUR journey.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, your comment is very inspiring, I can use all the encouragement I can get. Its good to hear of successes, I know of plenty myself, so I figure its all about getting over your own fears and step out proudly into the sun!

      Delete
  4. Another excellent post. Your list of questions is very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thank you for reading and being curious, its that curiosity that will propel anyone's journey.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!
I think its neat when other's feel compelled to write a comment. I check on notifications frequently. If you are a no-reply commenter, please leave an email address if you wish to hear back from me directly.

Popular posts from this blog

Hexie Quilt Top WIP

Sashiko Sockeye Bowls

A little bit of stitching...