Portable Craft Station Tutorial

This little craft station is the one I had until I lost it somewhere over the summer. I made the first one many years ago before I started blogging. I find it to be perfect for using as a craft station on my lap. I can quickly put it aside when I need to move and it keeps everything in place.

Portable Craft Station

Supplies beyond the cardboard and batting:
(4)  4 1/2 x 16 in.strips of alternate fabric for flaps on sides
(2)  2 x 16 in. strips complementing the craft station background fabric
(2) 16 x 10 3/8 in fabric for craft station background
(2) 2 by 7 in. small pin cushion fabric
(2) 16 x 1 in. rug binding
(2) 4 x 11 3/4 in batting for flaps
spray adhesive and tape


-Start by cutting out the cardboard and batting for the craft station base.



-Then using tape, secure all the sides together, I wanted the bounce in the cardboard, but if you like, you could use spray adhesive between the cardboard layers.

-Then spray down each side of the base and glue down the batting to fit, trim the batting slightly all around the edges.

-Then cut the background fabric, the two top edge strips, flap fabric and the two flap batting pieces. set aside.




-Then sew the top edge fabric strip to the base background pieces, press, then sew the rug binding each side of base. Press all these seams well, the whole cardboard slides in tight,which is what you want, but be sure to have pressed seams well to one side.




-Sew the two flap pieces together for each side flap, then press and add the batting into these two pieces and machine quilt.





- Lay one base background face up and position the quilted flaps on top.


- Lay the second base background fabric on top of this base with good sides facing each other.


-Then pin layers good sides together and sew a slim 1/4 in. edge seam along only the three sides not including the rug binding top edge which is left open.

-Turn the base inside out and press well.

- Then sew the two pin cushion strips together and sew leaving a small stuffing opening slit along one side. Stuff and hand sew the closure edge. 


- Then pin the top rug binding edge together with heavy duty thread in same color as your project. Start sewing on one side, holding the hand sewn edge of the pin cushion with the top edge seam you are hand sewing, include the pin cushion as you go along the top edge to finish the project. Lastly, slip the two cardboard pieces into the flaps or not, its up to you.



This is one tutorial I've wanting to share for quite some time. It makes a wonderful gift to a friend who also does hand stitching and the flaps serve me well for keeping my scissors, thread and even a snack tucked inside.

Happy Quilting everyone!

Comments

  1. Wow....that's really something. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome Jo, its been a real staple for me over the years and when I lost my other one, I was missing it right away. I finally got a chance to post this little tutorial I made this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial. I love having little pieces like this so I can lay out my quilt pieces when I'm listening to CBC or watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, Happy Thanksgiving! You are so welcome. I use a portable station so much this goes together really fast. Glad you like it. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. This does look like a very handy portable station!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynette, thanks so much for commenting. Happy to be of service. This portable station fits nicely intoy backpack or grocery bag for any trip.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

  6. Can not seem to get the photos anymore...am a visual person and am having a hard time understanding how to construct this...am I doing something wrong with my phone? Please help! Thanks!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Leslie, Thank you for leaving this comment. I'm completely baffled by where my original photos went to, but I've replaced them again, hope this helps!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much!!!!! Photos are great! I want to make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen for your enthusiastic approval of this useful project.

      Delete
  8. Wondering if you still use this and what upgrades you have made.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!
I think its neat when other's feel compelled to write a comment. I check on notifications frequently. If you are a no-reply commenter, please leave an email address if you wish to hear back from me directly.

Popular posts from this blog

Hexie Quilt Top WIP

Sashiko Sockeye Bowls

A little bit of stitching...