Bat Girl Goes Out Finish!


 "Bat Girl Goes Out" started out as the original Hexie Flower in the center. These pretty little Hexie flowers were purchased on Ebay. They are vintage and quite fragile. I placed this one on a bold lime green  background of linen scraps. Appliqued the Hexie flower on and then made it into a Snowball block.






I played around two summers ago with "15 Minutes of Play" over at Bumblebeans.com and came up with the outside borders of making fabric chunks and onto the original block they went. It's so much fun to just go for it and experiment. 



I am constantly inspired by Freeform style of quilts being made and that made me think of my upcoming e-book "Artisan Crazy Quilts" really does show the reader how I start and go towards an unknown, unplanned finish!

I ventured on like a Sherman Tank, doggedly designing as I went, its so fun quilters!

Bat Girl made her first appearance after hand drawing this bat free hand onto fused one side black 100% cotton.



I just had to wait until the little voice told me which way to go at this point!

Then the magic started to happen!

I went back and added a second layer to form the background for the hand applique spooky webby border. 





Yes, it is soo very easy to do! If you don't know how to do this, simple follow these recommendations.


  1. I first had a 3 in. black border.
  2. I added the second multi colored border behind the first black border.
  3. Hand draw out the app. edge design of the black border, using a white quilting pencil on black.
  4. Using a contrasting color of thread, sew a running stitch just inside of the hand drawn line.
  5. Using same color thread as the first border, applique the edge down with a reverse blind stitch.
  6. This reverse blind stitch is something that I use alot in my crazy embroidery stitches.

Many quilters use different approaches and this quilt does demonstrate one of the finishing techniques used from my new e-book "Artisan Crazy Quilts"


I did a pebble free motion quilting around the outer edge. What do you think?


Bat Girl Goes Out Quilt Stats:

29 1/2 x 28 3/4

100% cotton scraps and Halloween Jelly Roll from Moda Fabrics

Needle Finish lightweight batting

Backing fabric from Dr. Suess Collection 100% Organic cotton

Hand Embroidered spider and web using #8 DMC Perle Cotton

Mettler Thread for FMQ 

Free Motion Machine Quilted by Caroline Heinrichs

Hand sewn binding finish Halloween Jelly Roll from Moda Fabrics




Happy Quilting everyone!



Comments

  1. Such an amazing project! Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alida P. I appreciate this comment, many thanks!

      Delete
  2. What a great finish Caroline - love the bat girl and that scalloped black edging is the perfect touch I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne thanks so much. I was really grooving along with while listening Junkyard Blues!

      Delete
  3. What an adorable little quilt!! So many little details that you miss if you look too fast!! So glad you linked up with ALYOF so I could enjoy the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farm Quilter you are so welcome. Thanks for popping over to my crazy world of quilting.

      Delete
  4. Lots of fun in that quilt, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie, this was what I'd truly call organic as one commenter said about my Modern Table Runner and this was like that too! Glad you like it!!

      Delete
  5. Stunning Carli! I love this finish. Crazy and improv quilting are both on my list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zenia!
      Very cool to have you drop by my little wee blog. I've been trying to get into the habit of being prepared for your Whoop Linky party. Its every friday right? Thanks for letting me know you are interested in crazy and improv!!

      Delete
  6. I know I'm weird but my fave element on this quilt is the web. I don't know why other than it is such a unique feature that started out as a vintage block

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing about that is weird! I love it and have had so many great comments about it, thank you so much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!
I think its neat when other's feel compelled to write a comment. I check on notifications frequently. If you are a no-reply commenter, please leave an email address if you wish to hear back from me directly.

Popular posts from this blog

Hexie Quilt Top WIP

Sashiko Sockeye Bowls

A little bit of stitching...