4 Tips For Writing Great Craft Content

I'm no expert in this field, but I do love to learn!

I first discovered that "content" is very important back in 2009 trying to improve my blog's standing in the Search Engine's of the Internet. Yes, what you write is what will get you attention of the intricate web of fingers inside the The Internet's various search engines. 
SEO always looking for great fresh content and I joined up with Google Analytics. I'm still learning alot from my sons who help me to understand how and why its needed to succeed with attracting and keeping followers or visitors to your blog. You do need a google account.

I found this video very helpful on understanding more about Google Analytics.

Now, onto exploring how to write your best content. 

#1- Get Organized

I have a husband who has used gantt charts for years in his work. When I first asked him questions on how to get myself more organized he suggested this link.

The work I've been doing since 2009 must be starting to pay off in attention because my blog pops up with a variety of search words. That means my content is broad enough to be visible to search engines and defined enough to always be on the first page of a google search. Its important that you use similar key words every once in a while, not all the time, its redundant to your readers and can lead to less traffic.






I have been working on my writing and trying to improve. Its not rocket science, I've just put one foot in front of the other and stayed focused on moving forward with my blog. And look where my standings are on Google in terms of this search "best content for quilt bloggers"?



Your own thinking plays a huge role in what you decide to blog about or publish about. Thinking big is better because it allows you to expand your mind to help you learn the possibilities.

#2 Stay Focused

I have been working hard to maintain my pace, allow for life's little interruptions and stay on task when I am writing and quilting. Writing in the quilting or crafting market is a huge market to stand out in. You've got to find your people, that means the people who love your work will talk about your work often. Its even better if other bloggers link up to your work.

Really think about your blog post titles. Even if it takes some time, if you don't have time to think about the title, then what great content are you really writing? Now, sometimes I'm lazy and just want to do it quickly and I do see that whenever I post with a "lazy" title, that post gets little attention or viewers. So this tells me that post titles are critical.

Here's an example of a lazy post title:
"What I'm up to today"

Here's an example of a great post title:
"4 Tips For Writing Great Craft Content"




#3 Networking is not just talking to friends

Just yesterday I was texting with an online quilter who blogs over at http://carolynscanvas.blogspot.ca/ and she was saying she had just been talking about my blog to a friend of her's over tea. She lives in Indiana and is 75 years old and she was talking about Good Earth Quilting. We are several thousand miles apart and yet, my work is discussed over tea in Indiana!

Her Etsy shop is full of interesting things and she has made a bunch of sales. If you want to know how many sales any Etsy shop has made, simply look to the left under Shop Info and you'll be able to see the sales of anyone's shop. 

Carolyn is a one woman dinamo, her Craftsy site lists numerous patterns she is busy publishing online and sells them as online downloads. When I asked her about her experience, she is willing to share and happy to help. When I asked her why she had more than one shop, she explained it just made sense to get your stuff out to as many areas online as possible.

I'm making the point that age has nothing to do with success. I'm talking about success as a home based female who wants to turn her crafting into something more. Success is not about beating others to the goal line, its about being who you are and having a dream.Caroline Heinrichs (C) 2015

Please read about Janska.  How one 62 year old woman who had a dream to make accessible clothing and she made it even though, she had no skills in sewing, just the drive to make it happen. While you are reading this article on Janska in the Huffington Post, pay attention to the writing of the content. Be aware of the possibilities.



These words of wisdom pay a heavy role in my life, I read this little quilt almost everyday. I have the courage to change the things I can change and so do you. The key to online publishing not letting your fear of failure control you. If you keep saying someone else will succeed more than yourself, then it will happen. 

#4 Don't Let Go Of Your Dreams

Everyone has something really great to say, so get organized, be committed to your dream, stay focused and don't let go of your dreams. I feel like a late bloomer, really I do, I'm almost 60 years old and I'm more focused, more attentive to my dreams.

Lots of friends, family and even nieghbours will discourage you. Other people who don't live in your life will make judgements of you and your dreams. Its been my experience that when you feel good about yourself and you let your little light shine, some of the closest people to you, will doubt you and say so.

This will deflate your dreams quicker than lightening! 

Its up to you and only you to make a change in your life. I can't let others decide my future. I can't let the muffled talk behind my back of others take the drive out of my plan. I have to drive that plan around them and smile while I'm doing it. Sometimes, when you stand out, you can get some tomatoes thrown your way and here is why it happens.

  • Social connections play a large role in our lives. Friends and family don't want things to change and they like you just as you are. So unknowingly, for your own good they will try to soothe your exuberance by saying "Oh, its OK, you don't have to become a millionnaire do you?" We hear this little voice inside our head, even though you try to ignore it saying the doubtful words of your failure and suddenly you've failed. Failing is the easy route to take. 
  • Succeeding takes balls, focus and you need some blinders from the distractions of your life. My husband often says I drive like a man. When asked why he thinks this, he said "You drive with confidence, often most women drive like they are asking for space on the road. You drive like you know your vehicle" I thought about that and decided I needed to be more confident in my conviction to my dream to write not only one e-book, but many e-books.
Thanks for reading this latest installement. I'm enjoying the feedback and if you are a first time reader of my blog, start following me to learn even more.

This is what I'm working on right now.



And today is Saturday and I'm linking up with favorite blogger Zenia over at A Quilted Passion

A Quilted Passion


Happy Quilting everyone!

Comments

  1. You're right, it's not rocket science but it takes focus and thought. Another informative post.......thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've brought up lots of great points and suggestions. I have a different approach to blogging though, I guess because mine isn't a proffessional blog, I learnt early on not to pressure myself by looking at my stats and just write what I want to write because it's fun. It just goes to show that people are motivated in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachaeldaisy, this is the joy of writing in all that we do. People are motivated in different ways based on their age, my sons don't think like I do, but as we get older, the pressure to complete things on our bucket lists become a priority. Thank you for lovely comment on writing!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for doing this series - I know it's taking a lot of thought and time on your part. When I started my blog, I just intended it to be a record of what I was working on and a means to let my kids see it. Imagine my surprise when I started getting actual readers - people who didn't know me personally, and had no reason to be the least bit interested. I've never gone out of my way to increase my readership and am happy just to muddle along taking what comes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!
I think its neat when other's feel compelled to write a comment. I check on notifications frequently. If you are a no-reply commenter, please leave an email address if you wish to hear back from me directly.

Popular posts from this blog

Hexie Quilt Top WIP

Sashiko Sockeye Bowls

A little bit of stitching...