Contact Me Here!

Name

Email *

Message *

2003 Art Gallery Showing

Monday, August 10, 2015

Wow, I'm so flattered. Thank you so much readers and Internet folk that find me and my blog Good Earth Quilting.

Picture this; It was threatening rain outside and I was just checking in on my  blog and answering a few emails. I was generally having a laid back day finishing up some recent canning. I had a cup of fresh lemon tea beside me, my cell phone close by while yacking with my sister and then I saw the number of views for the post "400 Posts" and I was momentarily alarmed, as if I'd done something wrong.

Then I saw it, a big spike in my views for this one post. I had  been recieving the comments on my phone and was very pleased, but didn't realize how many visitors had viewed this post.

Here is a more detailed look at some of my favorite quilts so far. I think you keep the ones that are your favorites as a full time or part time artist. These are some of the ones that I've kept. They are some of my first quilts and they were shown in an art gallery that is unfortunately closed now.


This little quilt above was my inner "Modern Quilter" coming out and this was made in 2000. Its a mixture of denim and corduroy from clothing and its app. lap size. I chose to use a cheap emergency blanket found at the thrift store. I use it every winter in my car for an emergency and it goes camping with us everytime. This quilt is still holding up under constant use. I did have to do one little repair since making it, so I think its got lots of life still in it.


When we moved back up to the Bulkley Valley, I was excited to see the newly opened Ranger Station Art Gallery and set up this showing of my quilts.You can see my "Madusa's Hair" quilt using repurposed fabric in the main layout using a favorite Drunkard's Path Block in its making.


This little one called "Posies in a Row" and its another experimental lap quilt made from wool scraps I purchased at a garage sale. I had dreams of making it into a pattern and now its being reworked.


This first crazy quilt of mine was made when we were homeschooling our two sons. Each one of our family sewed their own "HOUSE" block and I did the rest. Our sons know how to sew and one is even thinking about buying a sewing machine! Yeah!


Sorry about the grainiest of these photos. My 2004 Award winning "Silver Linings Crazy Quilt" It was the simple win of that quilt that made me start looking around online for something I could I use to share my quilts. 

And here we are 15 years later and going strong online. Do you remember all the histeria around the clock turning over in 2000?


I was working full time back then, I remember working on the border pieces, hand embroidering on my coffee and lunch breaks. It must have been soothing for me during that time when the student I worked with was a true challenge to remain calm and nurturing for her. As my little light began to shine, I began to find my niche.

I'd love to read about how you found your niche?



And so, to the changes coming to Good Earth Quilting. I'm working behind the scenes on an e-book that I hope will be out before Christmas and I'm working on many more tutorials for crazy quilting.

This all for now, I'm checking into all my archives to find those photos not shared with all of you. Hoping your Monday is a fabulous one. I'm off on a camping trip with my family, see you soon.





9 comments :

  1. thanks for sharing all those quilts!
    I'm still finding my way, a work in progress, a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, so cool to talk about this subject of finding your niche. Thanks for popping over.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to find a niche, a style or even color scheme I recognize as my own, so that a collection of my quilts would feel like an ouvre. Alas, I feel more like a Johnny appleseed of quilts, spreading my works to the winds (and letting the winds blow me where they will).
    Love seeing these old quilts of yours and finding out what got you blogging! I'd love to see a better photo of that Medusa quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greta, I agree. I really need to get them out for walk and get a nice photo of the Madusa quilt. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great 'show'. Love seeing your first quilts and how you have developed your craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peg, I'm so glad you're enjoying my posts! Thanks for helping get braver to show all I've really done.

      Delete
  5. I'm also enjoying a look back through my archives at some of the things I've made over the years. It's amazing how many things I'm discovering that I had totally forgotten about making. It's fun to see your earlier pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. are you still working on "Posies In A Row?" would love to see more of that one when you get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and my niche-I seem to be all over the wall but love the designing. I prefer a large center design because I have the attention span of a 2 year old and when I get one of something done, don't have the patience to do multiples-am ready to jump ahead to something else-more often than not the project currently being worked on is put aside as soon as I see that it will be as envisioned to get to the idea that popped into my head as I was working-I'm 75 years old, don't think that is going to change-I have to have a deadline usually to complete anyhting. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it-loved seeing all these-am a great fan of crazy quilting

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to comments!
I read all posts and reply to them asap. Thanks for dropping by:)

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs