Retro Revisit


I recently picked this book entitled "Quilts Among the Plain People" and I was refreshed by the way the Amish people seem to get along with each other. 

Quilting and sewing skills are taught in the early ages, where girls learn how to sew beside their Mother. I've always been attracted to this idea because of my own lack of learning from my own Mother. Its a wonder I turned out at all. Little encouragement for others can be found in the heart of a person suffering a mental illness. My mother was ill for all her life. 
That's the sad part and the part that all us kids didn't fall by the wayside says a lot for my sweet older sister. 

T-shirt quilt making for me started in the 1990's when I became very focused on reusing as much as I could. I decided that our used t-shirts required alternative uses from becoming automotive rags.


This article from the 1980's told of making t-shirts into quilts. I was hooked. Unfortunately this well before any thought of photos came to me to document.


I found this article about how some quilters strove to break free of traditional use of color. Then seeing this recent new patterned of Sujata Shaw's "Toran" so interesting how fusion of cultures recycle themselves.

This is my next quilt from "Cultural Fusion Quilts- A Melting Pot of Piecing Traditions"

I'm off to do some work on a strip quilting project that stems from several months ago. Plus, when my back needs a good sit, I switch over to my ongoing scrappy Dresden's sewn by hand.




Most of the fabric's used in my recent Dresden Plates are retro from 1970's to the present time.

Here is a positive thought for today.

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies withing us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happy Quilting everyone, I'm having a blast and hoping your long weekend is awesome!

Carli

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hexie Quilt Top WIP

Sashiko Sockeye Bowls

A little bit of stitching...