Centennial Quilt & Old Church Block-Nicole

When I proposed the idea of a Smithers Centennial Quilt, I had a dream. I envisioned a group of Bulkley Valley quilters, working together like the descriptions in the book "Hands All Around-Making Cooperative Quilts" by Judy Robbins and Gretchen Thomas

 This book published in 1984 by Prentice & Hall Inc. became my stand by book for when I have a cup of tea in the morning. You know what I mean? I recommend it if you are planning a centennial quilt.

This is a post to tribute another one of the collaborators on this special quilt. I'd like to introduce the work of fellow quilt artist Nicole Tessier. I'll miss her as I've recently been told by Nicole that she and hubby are moving to Ontario. 




Nicole Tessier of Telkwa, made time for the block Old Church she submitted to be included in the Smithers 2013 Centennial Quilt.

 Her choice was to make a scene of the Old Church Building in Smithers, its has been restored and serves as a community gathering place in downtown. It was the first church to be built in the little muddy village of Smithers.

Her committment leaves me wanting to do more quilting with Nicole. I'm so honored that Nicole shared her talent with us. :) Her work will forever be part of the centennial quilt for Smithers.

Thus this block has made it into the Smithers 2013 Centennial Quilt. Deadlines were very important to this project. I've been working on this project now for 18 months. I'm finding my stride  and so the many lovely comments that have been said by readers in posts on other parts of this unique quilt.
In other posts, you'll see more of this interesting project. The project that I succumbed to, that called my name and told me how it was going to be.


These are where my head has been at, with this complicated project. It has called my name in the middle of the night. I wonder then, are other people crazy enough to spend hundreds of hours volunteering in a project like this? If you have worked on a collaborative quilt like this, please leave me a comment. Telling me what your project was and how it went. I'd love to know, so don't be shy?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hexie Quilt Top WIP

Sashiko Sockeye Bowls

A little bit of stitching...