Snow Town Folk Quilt Along Invitation

Published  

In the fall of 2011, I completed my first real pattern, tested with two versions and two suggested layouts. I am so fortunate that a pattern of my own creation was chosen for inclusion in western Canada's magazine Quilters Connection. winter issue. Heather Macauther, publisher is an awesome entrepreneur and loves my work too! I've designed all sorts of patterns that I make for myself, friends and family. If you'd like to join in an upcoming Snow Town Folk quilt along, just email me directly at carli the quilter (at) gmail (dot) com


This pattern was inspired by the many types of head wear I see in the winter months while ice fishing with my husband.  Ice fishers are a special kind of fisher in my opinion. They are special because they brave the cold temperatures, lug all kinds of gear miles down a lake, sometimes they have a shelter, but most times they are simply after the experience and the fresh wild fish in the winter months! 

Salmon, the main fish of choice, is such an important part of our Northwest BC heritage and culture. Its why salmon and Aboriginal colors are going to play a pivotal part in the creation of the Smithers 2013 Centennial Quilt. See more on Todd's salmon here at this past post Good Earth Quilting: Smithers 2013 Centennial Quilt - Todd's Salmon

The photo below is my hubby, in 2010 winter when he decided that the winter conditions were perfect for ice/snow sculpture. So he got busy as he says! He's a former Winnipeg boy where ice sculpture is a popular backyard, front yard and municipal activity.
http://www.manitobaphotos.com/festival.htm

 In keeping with his traditional constructed this enormous anatomically correct Sockeye Salmon in ice. Then he painted it with ordinary water color paint and we laughed as people drove by to take photos of his fish.


Rick's 26 ft. long big fish is now starting to fade in the warm spring air.


We fished on Owen Lake, outside of Houston, BC and the lake trout are huge in the north!


I'm the one that for some reason usually catches the biggest fish, I have some bragging rights here, you know!



Now, enough about fish, I decided to make this a quilt because, my design was really about the people who love to ice fish and the differences in their hats and toques simply make it even more whimsical. I unfortunately don't have any photos of this interesting view of ice fishing culture, but it could apply to many different outdoor activities.
Let's see:
tobaganning
sledding'
skiing
snow man making
shoveling the driveway

You get the idea?


This alternate version is as whimsical, as it is modern. When we're ice fishing, the guys stand around their 'hole in the ice' and talk. They laugh, complain, talk up the largest fish story's that have become part of the mystique of fishing in general.
I think that many quilters have someone who is an ice fisher, skier or sledder in their life and this works well as a gift for them. It would make an awesome winter wall hanging, bed quilt or even a set of winter deco pillows for the living room.

Whimsey fills my life.

This the kind of whimsey that my friends attach to trees on their property.





I thought you might like to see the foundation of my inspiration. 

If you'd like to join me in a fun pillow cover based on the Snow Town Folk quilt, just email me directly at carli the quilter (at) gmail (dot) com

All the best,

Carli


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hexie Quilt Top WIP

Sashiko Sockeye Bowls

A little bit of stitching...